Four miners die at Zambia's Vedanta unit, Konkola
LUSAKA, March 26
LUSAKA, March 26 (Reuters) - Four miners died in Zambia on Friday at a new concentrator expansion project following a fall of ground, Vedanta Resources' (VED.L) Konkola Copper Mines said.
Konkola said in a statement on Saturday the accident at the East Mill expansion project involved contractor workers engaged in excavation for civil construction.
The expansion project is within a large area known as the Nchanga Integrated Business Unit, near the Nchanga open pit mine.
"Investigations have been launched to ascertain the cause of the accident," the company said.
Production was not affected because the accident happened at a non-production area, mines minister Maxwell Mwale said on Friday. (Reporting By Chris Mfula; Editing by Ruth Pitchford)
- Still no sign of Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' |
- The search for missing Malaysian jet
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Mexico kills drug kingpin reported dead years ago: official
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source