Syrian government resigns: state television
DAMASCUS (Reuters) - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad accepted the resignation of the government on Tuesday, Syrian state television said.
"President Assad accepts the government's resignation," an announcement on state television said.
Assad was expected to address the nation later on Tuesday or Wednesday in a speech which may include a decision to abolish emergency laws, after two weeks of democracy protests gripped the country.
- Ukraine forces kill up to five rebels, Russia starts drill near border |
- Boy and girl on Korean ferry drowned with life jackets tied together |
- Rebellious Nevada rancher's racist remarks dim Republican support
- Apple's China success sets stage for iPhone 6, new products
- Children's corpses reveal desperate attempts to escape Korean ferry |