Taiwan's AU wins screen panel order for Apple iPad 2-report
TAIPEI, March 31
TAIPEI, March 31 (Reuters) - AU Optronics Corp , the world's No.4 LCD maker, has won an order to provide flat panel screens for Apple Inc's iPad 2 tablet, the first order it has received for the popular device, a local newspaper reported on Thursday.
The Economic Daily News, citing no sources for its information, said the panels' selling price will be three to four times more than regular panels of the same size, giving a big boost to AU's profit.
AU could ship 30 million of the screens in a year, it said. The order will take up over half the capacity of its plant in Taichung, central Taiwan.
Analysts forecast some 1 million iPad 2s may have been sold in the first weekend of its launch in the United States on March 11. The device went on sale in 25 markets in Europe, Australia and elsewhere on March 25, drawing long queues outside stores. (Reporting by Jonathan Standing)
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt |
- Global shares jump, yen slumps as BOJ cranks up stimulus |
- Special Report: Tsunami evacuees caught in $30 billion Japan money trap
- Inspiration for Harry Potter nemesis Umbridge revealed on website