First official UK "royal app" launched for wedding
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's first official royal app was launched on Tuesday, and with the marriage of Prince William to Kate Middleton just weeks away, unsurprisingly it focuses on royal weddings.
The "Royal App," launched by the Royal Collection, will feature details of seven previous weddings, including Queen Victoria's marriage to Prince Albert in 1840 and the 1981 wedding of William's father Prince Charles to Princess Diana.
It culminates with Charles's wedding to second wife Camilla in 2005.
The app, which will be available to download for Apple and Android users from April 18 at a price of 1.79 pounds, is the latest foray into the digital world by the royal family, following on from the launch of Twitter, Facebook and YouTube accounts.
The weddings app will include details about the "tradition, splendor and romance" of the past seven occasions, with images of the dresses, jewelry, and gifts, said the Royal Collection, the body which looks after the monarchy's collection of artwork.
"It is fitting and exciting that the first Royal Collection App will share the stories of past royal weddings and offer a wealth of historical context for the ceremony on April 29," said Jemima Rellie, its director of publishing and new media.
The creators said highlights of the app, which will be available in eight languages, include images of a sapphire and diamond brooch given to Queen Victoria by her new husband and the current queen's wedding dress, designed by Norman Hartnell.
The "Royal App" is not the first to target fans excited by the upcoming nuptials. Last month, a media company launched an app promising to feature all the latest information about William's wedding was launched for iPad users.
(Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Paul Casciato)
- First Ebola case diagnosed in the United States: CDC |
- U.S. experts hunt for Ebola exposure after first case |
- Turkey vows to fight Islamic State, coalition strikes near border
- Advanced iOS virus targeting Hong Kong protestors -security firm
- Hong Kong's embattled leader believes protests could last weeks: source |