Syria protesters torch party outpost, smash statue
AMMAN, April 8
AMMAN, April 8 (Reuters) - Protesters in the southern city of Deraa on Friday set fire to a Baath Party outpost and smashed a stone statue of Basil al-Assad, President Bashar al-Assad's late brother, witnesses said.
"The statue of Basil al-Assad is just a pile of stones," one of the witnesses told Reuters by telephone from Deraa. "The protesters also set fire to a Baath Party outpost in the el-Mahatta area," he added.
Unprecedented unrest over decades of autocratic Baath Party rule has rocked Syria for more than two weeks, emboldened by pro-democracy uprisings across the Arab world. (Reporting by Suleiman al-Khalidi; editing by Mark Heinrich)
- Tearful Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- North Korea's "reign of terror" worries South's leader
- Chinese hackers spied on Europeans before G20 meeting: researcher
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media