Syria protesters torch party outpost, smash statue
AMMAN, April 8
AMMAN, April 8 (Reuters) - Protesters in the southern city of Deraa on Friday set fire to a Baath Party outpost and smashed a stone statue of Basil al-Assad, President Bashar al-Assad's late brother, witnesses said.
"The statue of Basil al-Assad is just a pile of stones," one of the witnesses told Reuters by telephone from Deraa. "The protesters also set fire to a Baath Party outpost in the el-Mahatta area," he added.
Unprecedented unrest over decades of autocratic Baath Party rule has rocked Syria for more than two weeks, emboldened by pro-democracy uprisings across the Arab world. (Reporting by Suleiman al-Khalidi; editing by Mark Heinrich)
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |