Time out at Applebee's after accidental kiddie cocktail

CHICAGO Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:01pm EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The company that owns the Applebee's restaurant chain said on Monday it was immediately retraining its workers nationwide after a server at a suburban Detroit location accidentally served alcohol to a toddler.

The company, California-based DineEquity Inc, said it would also change the way it serves juice to youngsters to eliminate the chance of any mixups that could result in any more tipsy toddlers.

On Friday, Taylor Dill-Reese went to an Applebee's in Madison Heights, Michigan, where -- among other things -- she ordered her 15-month-old son Dominick an apple juice.

What the little boy apparently got instead was a margarita. His mom told WDIV-TV that she only realized something was wrong when Dominick "kind of laid his head on the table and dozed off a little bit and woke up and got real happy."

The little boy reportedly began hailing strangers, too.

Applebee's released a statement on Monday saying it was relieved that Dominick was "not seriously injured as a result of accidentally receiving the wrong beverage" and apologizing to his family "for the stress and worry this caused them."

It said it would begin to serve apple juice to children only from single-serve containers at the table and would "retrain all severs on our beverage pouring policy, emphasizing that non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages must be stored in completely separate and identified containers."

(Reporting by James B. Kelleher)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (15)
Randy549 wrote:
I hope the little boy is OK with no lasting health issues. At that age/weight, it doesn’t take an awful lot of alcohol to get up to some hazardous BAC levels.

Apr 11, 2011 8:31pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
gsc wrote:
Again? This is at least the 3rd time I can remember. Its time they lose their liquor license for the entire chain.

Apr 11, 2011 8:54pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
WRL wrote:
This is obviously a major mistake on the part of the server, but how unobservant would a parent have to be to not recognize a margarita?

Dang, now I want some “apple juice.”

Apr 12, 2011 9:52am EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.