Republicans would end Medicare "as we know it": Obama
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama said on Wednesday that the vision of his Republican opponents to tackle the U.S. deficit unfairly penalized the middle class at the expense of healthcare programs many Americans value.
"Put simply, it ends Medicare as we know it," Obama said on a speech laying out his own approach to curb the bloated U.S. budget deficit.
(Reporting by Alister Bull; Editing by Eric Beech)
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- U.S. aircraft hit by gunfire in South Sudan as conflict worsens
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Four men arrested in deadly N.J. shopping mall carjacking
- Analysis: Lost Brazil order raises threat to Boeing fighter jets
A federal judge struck down Utah's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional, handing a major victory to gay rights activists in a conservative state Slideshow