First offshore US wind farm construction starts soon
BOSTON, April 19
BOSTON, April 19 (Reuters) - After years of delay, construction of what is expected to be the first U.S. offshore wind farm, located off Massachusetts' picturesque Nantucket Sound, could begin as early as this fall.
Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar said on Tuesday the federal government has approved a construction and operations plan submitted for the Cape Wind Energy Project.
"The department has taken extraordinary steps to fully evaluate Cape Wind's potential impacts on environmental and cultural resources of Nantucket Sound," Salazar said during a visit to Boston.
Michael Bromwich, director of the Interior Department's Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement, said the environmental impact of the project had been reviewed thoroughly.
The project, which is being developed by Energy Management Inc, calls for 130 wind turbine generators, each with a maximum blade height of 440 feet (134 meters), to be arranged in a grid pattern several miles off shore. German conglomerate Siemens AG (SIEGn.DE) will provide the turbines. Construction could begin as early as the fall, the Interior Department said.
The site is tucked between the mainland of the cape and the islands of Martha's Vineyard, an exclusive vacation destination, and Nantucket island.
Once fully operational, the wind farm will produce enough electricity to power about 400,000 homes on Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
Cape Wind has faced opposition involving everyone from Indian tribes to fishermen to the Kennedy family, whose 6-acre family compound in Hyannis Port overlooks Nantucket Sound.
Massachusetts Rep. Edward Markey praised Tuesday's developments.
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Autopsy of slain Missouri teen shows close-range gunshot: report
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talks with government