Syria closes its land borders with Jordan: officials
AMMAN (Reuters) - Syria closed all its land border crossings with neighboring Jordan Monday, officials said, following the deployment of Syrian army tanks in the southern border city of Deraa to crush a pro-democracy uprising.
A senior diplomat in the Jordanian capital confirmed that the two main Syrian crossings at Deraa and Nassib on the Syrian side were closed to traffic. An official told Reuters the "timing is related to what appears to be a major security operation that is taking place right now."
(Reporting by Suleiman al-Khalidi; Editing by Louise Ireland)
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Billy Joel, Shirley MacLaine feted at Kennedy Center Honors
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow