Katie Couric confirms leaving CBS evening news

LOS ANGELES, April 26 Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:59pm EDT

LOS ANGELES, April 26 (Reuters) - News anchor Katie Couric said on Tuesday she was leaving her job at 'CBS Evening News" but said details of her next job were still being discussed.

Couric, 54, who became the first female solo anchor of a U.S. weeknight network newscast in 2006, said in an exclusive statement to People magazine that she was "looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling".

Details of when and where such a show would air had yet to be determined, she said.

"I have decided to step down from the 'CBS Evening News.' I'm really proud of the talented team on the 'CBS Evening News' and the award-winning work we've been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I've done for '60 Minutes' and 'CBS Sunday Morning.'

"In making the decision to move on, I know the 'Evening News' will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future," Couric said in her statement.

Couric said earlier this month that she was considering other options after her five-year contract at "CBS Evening News" ends in early June.

Couric, a former co-host of rival NBC's morning talk show "Today" for 15 years, has been unable to raise her CBS news broadcast out of third place in the ratings despite the initial media hoopla over her appointment.

(Reporting by Jill Serjeant; Editing by Steve Gorman)