NATO`s Real World Disaster Communications Requirements Drive TM Forum`s Blueprint for Rapid Communications Deployment
NATO’s Real World Disaster Communications Requirements Drive TM Forum’s Blueprint for Rapid Communications Deployment
Federated Service Level Management Enables Multi-National Preparedness in Crisis
The NATO C3 Agency and TM Forum’s Defense Industry Group today announced that the third phase of the Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst will be launched at Management World 2011 (May 23-26, Dublin, Ireland). In disaster situations, rapidly deploying a reliable communications infrastructure is essential to managing a recovery effort. This TM Forum Catalyst project provides relief and government agencies and communications providers on the ground with an architectural blueprint for the rapid rollout of critical communications services.
By applying TM Forum best practices and standards – including TM Forum’s flagship Frameworx suite of standards – the blueprint includes a requirements directory to scope and define a series of quality of service (QoS), service assurance, policy enforcement and fulfillment benchmarks that partner nations can exchange.
Inspired by the multi-national disaster response to the Haitian earthquake in 2010 and championed by the NATO C3 Agency, the blueprint gives mission command visibility to each partner’s services and provides them with the necessary controls to establish configurable security, access control, and service quality policies for communication services across the federation.
Earlier this week this unique project was named to Computerworld’s 2011 Class of Laureates for Honors, and will compete for a place as a finalist at the Computerworld medal ceremony in Washington DC in June. These annual awards recognize the most outstanding user achievements in technology, attracting more than 1,000 entries each year.
As just one part of the defense industry agenda taking place at TM Forum’s Management World 2011 in Dublin, this live demonstration showcases multiple scenarios involving federated service fulfillment and assurance, where mission command, military partners, and relief agencies arrive in a disaster location and must establish communications within a few hours.
The Defense Spotlight at Management World will also cover critical issues such as: cyber security, service assurance for tactical networks, and battlefield communications during two tracks on cyber security and network management for NetOps.
- This Catalyst Project includes the following TM Forum member companies: CA Technologies, Infonova, Layer 7 Technologies, Network Critical, Progress Software, Thales and TNO.
- Phase three of the Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst will showcase the agile and rapid build out of end-to-end Information Communications and Technology (ICT) for reduced service delivery lifecycles, automated policy control, and dynamic discovery of services of elementary national contributions. A live demonstration will hosted in Forumville.
- The Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst will use the backdrop of real-life humanitarian crises where multi-national response teams are needed to demonstrate the architecture’s capabilities.
- The project has already been accepted as one of 225 laureates out of more than 100 entries in Computerworld’s prestigious Honors Program for 2011 - the winners of which will be announced at the awards ceremony at the Melon Auditorium in Washington, DC. On June 20, 2011.
- The Defense Spotlight at Management World 2011 includes ten presentations and moderation from NATO C3 Agency, the US DoD’s Defense Information Systems Agency, the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, CA Technologies, AT&T, Network Critical, MITRE Corporation, IBM, Boeing, TNO and more.
- Defense presentations included in the Cloud Summit at Management World will address important Defense topics like Identity and Access Control for Cloud and Cloud for Mission Critical Systems.
- A Security themed roundtable is being offered for executives, and a Security Summit will provide strategies for delivery of secure, agile IT and Operations.
- “Current military operations require close cooperation between coalition partners in order to smoothly and rapidly establish complex end-to-end communications across diverse national sub-networks,” according to NATO C3 Agency ‘s Principal Scientist. “Once services are delivered, it is equally important to build very close service level management relationships amongst the involved service operators (military or commercial) to maintain high quality of service. Without standardized management solutions and interfaces it would not be possible to achieve these goals. NATO C3 Agency is strongly supporting the Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst and is pleased to work with industry players to build an architecture that nations can share in times of need.”
- “Utilizing TM Forum’s collective knowledge and experience in effective service management, this Project delivers the blueprint for a much-needed standardized approach to federation of communications services in a disaster scenario,” said Christy Coffey, Head of Defense Market Support Center, TM Forum. “This Project, which forms part of our larger Defense Initiative, clearly illustrates the value of combining TM Forum’s communications management expertise with security expertise from the broader defense industry, delivering significant benefits for all TM Forum members. The Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst and other defense sessions in Dublin this year are a ‘must see’ for anyone involved in the Defense sector.”
- Learn more about the Secure, Federated Service Management Catalyst
- Learn more about TM Forum’s Government and Defense Interest Group initiatives
- See the Defense Spotlight agenda for Management World 2011
- See the full agenda for all of Management World 2011
Tags: Cyber security, defense, NATO, CA, security management, network management, cloud, Dublin, management world, tm forum
About TM Forum:
With more than 700 corporate members in 195 countries, TM Forum is the world’s leading industry association focused on enabling best-in-class IT for service providers in the communications, media and cloud service markets. The Forum provides business-critical industry standards and expertise to enable the creation, delivery and monetization of digital services.
TM Forum brings together the world’s largest communications, technology and media companies, providing an innovative, industry-leading approach to collaborative R&D, along with wide range of support services including benchmarking, training and certification. The Forum produces the renowned international Management World conference series, as well as thought-leading industry research and publications.