Factbox: Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom
LOUISVILLE (Reuters) - Profile of the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner Animal Kingdom.
* Bred in Kentucky, his sire was the Brazilian-miler Leroidesanimaux while his dam was the German mare Dalicia.
* The three-year-old-colt was named after his sire, whose name translates to King of The Animals.
* His jockey, John Velazquez, was born in Puerto Rico and is one of the best riders in the United States. This was his 13th ride in the Derby and his first win.
* His trainer, Graham Motion, was born in Britain but moved to the United States when he was 16 years old. This was his first Derby winner.
* Animal Kingdom is owned by a syndicate called Team Valor International. The syndicate also bred the horse.
* Before winning the Derby, Animal Kingdom had raced just four times, for two wins and two second place finishes.
* He became the first horse in 137 years to win the Derby without running on dirt in a previous race.
(Compiled by Julian Linden; Editing by Frank Pingue)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this