Libya says four children wounded in NATO strikes

TRIPOLI Mon May 9, 2011 10:19pm EDT

1 of 2. EDITOR'S NOTE: PICTURE TAKEN ON GUIDED GOVERNMENT TOUR A general view of a damaged building at the High Commission for Children, which the Libyan government said was caused by coalition air strikes, in Tripoli May 10, 2011.

Credit: Reuters/Louafi Larbi

Related Topics

TRIPOLI (Reuters) - Libyan officials said on Tuesday four children were wounded by flying glass caused by blasts from NATO strikes in the Tripoli area overnight.

"Two of the children were seriously hurt and are in intensive care in hospital," said one official.

Officials took foreign journalists twice to Tripoli's Dahmani neighborhood to see what they said were the results of NATO strikes.

On the first visit, journalists saw a government building housing the high commission for children that had been completely destroyed.

The old colonial building had been damaged before in what Libyan officials said was a NATO strike on April 30.

On the second visit, journalists saw a toppled telecommunications tower that officials said was used to provide mobile phone services.

FILED UNDER:
Comments (0)
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.

Full focus