Soap opera fans plead for canceled ABC shows

Wed May 11, 2011 8:16pm EDT

Related Topics

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Viewers, customers and consumers of the soap operas "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" have taken out a full-page ad in the Hollywood Reporter expressing their disappointment at the cancellation of the long-running daytime dramas.

The letter, addressed to ABC head of daytime programing Brian Frons, president of Disney/ABC Television Group Anne Sweeney and advertisers on daytime television, says that soap operas are in danger of becoming extinct.

"This is our appeal to save not only the jobs of those employed by 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live', but to also keep the soap genre from becoming extinct," the letter reads.

"Both 'All My Children' and 'One Life to Live' have been a part of our lives for over 40 years; this is not something that can be said for many programs on television today. The type of fierce loyalty that comes from watching a show for so long is not something that is easily replicated."

ABC said last month that it was replacing the two dramas with lifestyle shows.

The letter goes on to stress that soap operas have brand recognition that few other shows have and that "product placement, leveraging soap fans' passion for the actors on their soaps to enhance product advertising and international syndication would all add to the profitability of the soaps that have served both ABC and the viewing community for so many decades."

The letter thanks Hoover and other advertisers that have voiced concerns about the soaps' cancellations as well as creator Agnes Nixon, the production crew, and writers.

"Your talent and contribution moves us in more ways than you can imagine," the letter concludes.

(Editing by Jill Serjeant)

FILED UNDER: