Central London street closed in UK security alert
LONDON May 16 (Reuters) - A central London avenue near Buckingham Palace was closed in a security alert on Monday on the eve of a visit to Ireland by Britain's Queen Elizabeth and a week before U.S. President Barack Obama visits Britain.
In a separate incident, police carried out a controlled explosion to destroy a suspicious bag in a central London street, although it turned out to be harmless, a police spokesman said. (Reporting by Adrian Croft; Editing by Keith Weir)
- Qatar adamant it will host 2022 World Cup despite doubts
- Argentina's Fernandez to meet billionaire investor Soros in New York
- New Jersey hiker killed by black bear : police
- Islamic State urges attacks on U.S., French citizens, taunts Obama
- Housing data hits Wall Street; S&P has worst day since August 5 |