Central London street closed in UK security alert
LONDON May 16 (Reuters) - A central London avenue near Buckingham Palace was closed in a security alert on Monday on the eve of a visit to Ireland by Britain's Queen Elizabeth and a week before U.S. President Barack Obama visits Britain.
In a separate incident, police carried out a controlled explosion to destroy a suspicious bag in a central London street, although it turned out to be harmless, a police spokesman said. (Reporting by Adrian Croft; Editing by Keith Weir)
- Insight: How U.S. spying cost Boeing multibillion-dollar jet contract
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Yemeni al Qaeda says attack on hospital was mistake
- Insight: For Chinese farmers, a rare welcome in Russia's Far East