North Sudan deploys tanks in key disputed town-U.N.
KHARTOUM May 21 (Reuters) - The northern Sudanese army deployed around 15 tanks in the main town of the disputed Abyei region on Saturday, the United Nations said.
"Fifteen tanks were deployed in Abyei town," said U.N. spokeswoman Hua Jiang, adding that gunshots could be heard in the town but it was unclear what exactly was happening.
(Reporting by Ulf Laessing, Khartoum newsroom)
- White House reverses, says Obama met uncle and lived with him during law school
- South Africa, world mourn 'giant for justice' Mandela |
- Key U.S. lawmakers urge China to back off on air defense zone
- RPT-UPDATE 1-Ford leans on global Mustang to burnish overseas image
- Decaying steel town gets movie star turn in 'Out of the Furnace'