North Sudan deploys tanks in key disputed town-U.N.
KHARTOUM May 21 (Reuters) - The northern Sudanese army deployed around 15 tanks in the main town of the disputed Abyei region on Saturday, the United Nations said.
"Fifteen tanks were deployed in Abyei town," said U.N. spokeswoman Hua Jiang, adding that gunshots could be heard in the town but it was unclear what exactly was happening.
(Reporting by Ulf Laessing, Khartoum newsroom)
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions