Yemen air force bombs al-Qaeda, Islamist-held city
ADEN, Yemen (Reuters) - Yemen's air force has bombed the positions of al Qaeda and Islamist militants who have taken control of the southern coastal city of Zinjibar, residents said on Monday.
They also said the army is shelling the city with artillery.
Several hundred al Qaeda and Islamist militants took over the Gulf of Aden city a few days ago and have been battling locals and government soldiers who are trying to regain control.
(Reporting by Mohamed Mokhashef; Writing by Jon Herskovitz)
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video