Lagarde to visit China in June to discuss IMF bid
BEIJING (Reuters) - French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde will visit China in early June and will meet leading officials from the People's Bank of China to discuss her candidacy to head the International Monetary Fund, China's foreign ministry said on Thursday.
"Madame Lagarde will visit China in early June. Relevant responsible officials from the People's Bank of China will meet with her," the ministry's spokesman Hong Lei said.
"The selection of the deputy executive general and others is crucial to the vigorous reform of international financial institutions. The selection of management should respect the principles of being merit-based and transparent," he said.
(Reporting by Ben Blanchard)
- Google bus blocked in San Francisco gentrification protest
- Thai PM urges protesters to take part in election |
- Obama, Castro shake hands as world says farewell to peacemaker Mandela |
- North Korea's 'reign of terror' worries South's leader
- Rare Singapore riot forces soul searching over foreign workers
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow