U.S. budget opponents Obama, Boehner make golf date
WASHINGTON, June 3
WASHINGTON, June 3 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama and John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, will play golf together on June 18, an administration official said on Friday.
Boehner has criticized Obama for not being more involved in talks with lawmakers to agree a plan to cut the U.S. deficit. He said earlier this week he was ready to engage in talks with the president about the issue.
Obama has tried to improve relations with congressional Republicans since the November elections, when Democrats lost control of the House.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Editing by Jackie Frank)
- Scots vote on independence, United Kingdom's fate on knife-edge |
- Islamic State shows captive British journalist in new video
- Australian PM says police raids follow IS linked beheading plot |
- New evacuations ordered as California wildfire doubles in size |
- Chinese hacked U.S. military contractors: Senate panel