U.S. budget opponents Obama, Boehner make golf date
WASHINGTON, June 3
WASHINGTON, June 3 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama and John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, will play golf together on June 18, an administration official said on Friday.
Boehner has criticized Obama for not being more involved in talks with lawmakers to agree a plan to cut the U.S. deficit. He said earlier this week he was ready to engage in talks with the president about the issue.
Obama has tried to improve relations with congressional Republicans since the November elections, when Democrats lost control of the House.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Editing by Jackie Frank)
- Israel rejects ceasefire plan, source says as death toll nears 850 |
- Bad weather seen as probable cause of Air Algerie crash
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope |
- White House aide says Republicans might try for Obama impeachment