U.S. budget opponents Obama, Boehner make golf date
WASHINGTON, June 3
WASHINGTON, June 3 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama and John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, will play golf together on June 18, an administration official said on Friday.
Boehner has criticized Obama for not being more involved in talks with lawmakers to agree a plan to cut the U.S. deficit. He said earlier this week he was ready to engage in talks with the president about the issue.
Obama has tried to improve relations with congressional Republicans since the November elections, when Democrats lost control of the House.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Editing by Jackie Frank)
- U.S. House passes border-security funding bill to speed deportations |
- Exposure of health workers weakens Africa's Ebola fight
- Tape emerges of Clinton discussing bin Laden day before 9/11 attack
- Israel looks for missing soldier; Hamas says he may have been killed |
- African leaders agree steps to fight runaway Ebola outbreak