U.S. budget opponents Obama, Boehner make golf date
WASHINGTON, June 3
WASHINGTON, June 3 (Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama and John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, will play golf together on June 18, an administration official said on Friday.
Boehner has criticized Obama for not being more involved in talks with lawmakers to agree a plan to cut the U.S. deficit. He said earlier this week he was ready to engage in talks with the president about the issue.
Obama has tried to improve relations with congressional Republicans since the November elections, when Democrats lost control of the House.
(Reporting by Jeff Mason, Editing by Jackie Frank)
- Iraqi security forces and Kurds gain ground against Islamic State
- U.S. diplomat travels to West Africa as Ebola quarantine moves take hold |
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- Washington state teen shooter's family living in 'nightmare'
- Ukraine votes in poll likely to strengthen president's hand |