Sienna Miller settles phone-hacking claim
LONDON (Reuters) - Film star Sienna Miller's privacy and harassment claim against the News of the World over alleged phone-hacking by its reporters was settled for 100,000 pounds damages on Tuesday.
Miller, the on-and-off girlfriend of fellow Hollywood star Jude Law, was one of the main plaintiffs suing Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation over allegations reporters at the tabloid illegally listened to voice messages to get scoops.
The 29-year-old actress last month agreed to accept the damages along with an unconditional admission of liability.
Her lawyer David Sherborne told London's High Court that, in 2005 and 2006, she was the subject of numerous articles which contained "intrusive and private information," the Press Association reported.
As well as the damages and her legal costs, Miller, who was not at court for the hearing, was granted an injunction preventing any further unlawful accessing of her voicemail and publication of her private information.
The order also provided for disclosure of information about the extent of the snooping activities and expressly allows her to come back to court in the light of any new material.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt