Germany recognises Libya rebel council -rebel says
BENGHAZI, Libya, June 13
BENGHAZI, Libya, June 13 (Reuters) - Germany has recognised the rebel council based in Benghazi as the legitimate representative of Libyans, a rebel official said on Monday during a visit by German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle.
"He said that he came here to support the Libyan revolution, to support the national council. They believe it is the legitimate representation of the Libyan people," Abdel Hafiz Ghoga, vice chairman of the rebel National Transitional Council, told Reuters after meeting the German delegation.
"He said clearly ... that the national council is the legitimate representation of the Libyan people," Ghoga said, adding: "It is a very a big step and we appreciate it." (Reporting by Maria Golovnina; Writing by Edmund Blair in Cairo)
- Malaysia military tracked missing plane to west coast: source |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- Ukraine forms new defense force, seeks Western help |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Freescale loss in Malaysia tragedy leads to travel policy questions