Belarus' individual bank deposits fall in May
MINSK, June 15
MINSK, June 15 (Reuters) - Individual deposits in Belarussian banks fell in May, central bank data showed on Wednesday.
Rouble deposits fell to 9.2 trillion roubles -- $1.8 billion at current exchange rates -- as of June 1 from 10.1 trillion roubles on May 1. Foreign currency deposits shrank to $3.7 billion from $4.2 billion.
Belarus devalued its rouble by 36 percent on May 24 in an attempt to plug a large current account deficit that has drained a quarter of its foreign currency reserves this year.
($1 = 4,978 Belarussian roubles)
(Reporting by Andrei Makhovsky; Writing by Olzhas Auyezov; Editing by John Stonestreet)
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws 'red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- Warning shots fired to turn monitors back from Crimea |
- Libya threatens to bomb North Korean tanker if it ships oil from rebel port