Chile court suspends work on HidroAysen dam project
SANTIAGO, June 20 (Reuters) - A Chilean court on Monday ordered ths suspension of work on the recently-approved $3.5 billion HidroAysen hydropower project, which has sparked massive protests over environmental concerns.
HidroAysen is a joint venture between leading generator Endesa Chile END.SN and partner Colbun COL.SN. Colbun's shares fell as much as 3.5 percent following the ruling before paring losses to 1.3 percent, while Endesa was down 0.8 percent.
The appeals court in the southern city of Puerto Montt said the order was issued following legal injunctions filed by opponents of the project. (Reporting by Erik Lopez)
- Ukraine president accuses Russian soldiers of backing rebel thrust |
- Video shows Islamic State executes scores of Syrian soldiers |
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants |
- U.S. air strikes on Syria would face formidable obstacles
- Ukraine leader says Russian forces are in the country as key town falls