Chile court suspends work on HidroAysen dam project
SANTIAGO, June 20 (Reuters) - A Chilean court on Monday ordered ths suspension of work on the recently-approved $3.5 billion HidroAysen hydropower project, which has sparked massive protests over environmental concerns.
HidroAysen is a joint venture between leading generator Endesa Chile END.SN and partner Colbun COL.SN. Colbun's shares fell as much as 3.5 percent following the ruling before paring losses to 1.3 percent, while Endesa was down 0.8 percent.
The appeals court in the southern city of Puerto Montt said the order was issued following legal injunctions filed by opponents of the project. (Reporting by Erik Lopez)
- Co-pilot spoke last words heard from missing Malaysian plane |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Crimea asks to join Russia after Soviet-style vote |
- Global stocks rise, yen slips after peaceful Crimea vote |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister