Saudi Arabia to remove most troops from Bahrain
RIYADH, June 28
RIYADH, June 28 (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia is to withdraw most of its security forces from Bahrain starting on Monday after deciding the situation is calmer in the Gulf Arab country after protests in February and March.
Security forces from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were sent into Bahrain in mid-March to help clear the streets of protesters. Emergency rule, imposed at the time, was lifted earlier this month.
"The Saudi troops will be withdrawn starting on Monday because their situation is getting much calmer," said a Bahrain government source.
Another source confirmed the withdrawal and said not all the troops would be withdrawn at once. About 1,000 Saudi soldiers entered Bahrain to protect government facilities. (Reporting by Amena Bakr; Editing by Reed Stevenson)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Two injured after student opens fire at Colorado high school |
- Insight: In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid U.S. drone strikes
- Storm to cloak Midwest to Northeast in snow, freezing rain