Guinean president escapes assassination bid at home
CONAKRY (Reuters) - Guinean President Alpha Conde escaped a sustained rocket and gunfire attack on his residence on Tuesday that killed one person and left his home riddled with bullet holes.
There was no official word on who was behind the attack on Conde, who came to power last December in an election aimed at ending decades of coups in the West African nation where iron and bauxite resources have attracted world mining majors.
A presidential source said the attack was clearly a failed assassination attempt targeting the president, who later rushed to the state broadcaster to appeal for calm.
"Our enemies will not be able to stop Guinea's progress," Conde said in a statement witnessed by a Reuters reporter as it was recorded.
"I appeal to you to stay calm ... Let the army and the security services do their work," said the 73-year-old Conde, who was dressed in a traditional African robe and gave no sign of having been harmed.
Opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo, defeated by Conde in the 2010 election, told Reuters he deplored the attack and raised concerns about the country's stability.
"If this violence persists it will not help consolidate the progress made toward democracy here," Diallo said by telephone from the Senegalese capital Dakar, where he was visiting.
Eyewitnesses said the attack took place at Conde's personal residence in the Kipe suburb of the capital Conakry in the early hours of Tuesday and lasted for nearly two hours before it was repelled by Conde's personal guard.
"The kitchen is covered in blood and part of the building is riddled with bullet holes," said one witness who declined to be identified, saying the main gate had been blown out with a rocket-launcher.
The presidential source said one suspect had been arrested following the attack but declined to give further details. There was no information on the identity of the person killed.
Some speculated that there could be a link to the July 1 arrest of a colonel close to former junta leader Moussa Dadis Camara, currently exiled in Burkina Faso.
"Conde's state of grace has ended. He put the backs up of some in the army by arresting Colonel Moussa Keita," said Senegal-based regional analyst Babacar Justin Ndiaye.
Keita was arrested after he accused Sekouba Konate, the army official who engineered the transition back to civilian power, of having defrauded $22 million from the state.
Former colonial power France urged Guinea to continue its efforts to bolster democracy. "In that context, the armed forces, like the other components of the nation, have an important role to play," the French Foreign Ministry said.
As day broke, soldiers erected roadblocks throughout the city and carried out checks on all vehicles on the road. Army pick-up trucks carrying soldiers patrolled the streets, but only a few residents ventured out of their homes.
Veteran opposition leader Conde came to power in the world's largest exporter of the aluminum ore bauxite last December after the first free election in the West African country since independence from France half a century ago.
The country had been ruled by a military junta since the death of veteran leader Lansana Conte in 2008.
Guinea has a long history of authoritarian rule and its security forces have a reputation for brutality against dissidents as well as indiscipline.
However observers say there has been a marked improvement in army discipline since Conde came to power. He has put in place a new army leadership and appointed himself defense minister to try to drive security reform.
The 2010 election was marked by ethnic tensions between rival groups linked to Conde and Diallo, whose Peul ethnic group accounts for around 40 percent of the population.
While Diallo conceded defeat, political tensions have simmered, with Diallo's UFDG opposing Conde's plans to carry out an electoral census and revamp the voter roll before a parliamentary election Conde wants to hold by year-end.
The UFDG wants the census to be carried out by an independent electoral body rather than the government.
(Additional reporting by Nicholas Vinocur in Paris and Diadie Ba in Dakar; Writing by Mark John; Editing by Elizabeth Piper)
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Winter storm pushes up U.S. East Coast after deep-freeze in the South
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video