Hugh Grant wins court ruling in hacking scandal

LONDON Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:18pm EDT

Hugh Grant at a promotional event for his movie ''Did You Hear About the Morgans?'' in Berlin, December 4, 2009. REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz

Hugh Grant at a promotional event for his movie ''Did You Hear About the Morgans?'' in Berlin, December 4, 2009.

Credit: Reuters/Tobias Schwarz

Related Topics

LONDON (Reuters) - A High Court judge on Wednesday ordered police to hand over information to actor Hugh Grant or former girlfriend Jemima Khan which could show phone messages between them were intercepted by a private investigator working for a newspaper.

The ruling by judge Geoffrey Vos followed a 20-minute hearing at the London court where neither Grant nor campaigner Khan were present, according to the Press Association.

The couple split in 2007 after a three-year relationship.

Grant has been a vociferous critic of News Corp since the phone-hacking scandal broke earlier this month, and is a member of the Hacked Off lobby group which has campaigned for a rigorous inquiry into illegal eavesdropping by newspapers.

Vos said police should disclose information relating to messages allegedly intercepted by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and used in the News of the World and other newspapers.

Several celebrities have been targeted by the now-defunct weekly tabloid, including actress Sienna Miller who settled a phone-hacking lawsuit against it in June.

News Corp's News of the World was abruptly closed this month when the scale of its involvement in phone hacking, and its targeting of ordinary people and not just the rich and famous, began to emerge.

Four years ago Mulcaire and former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman were given jail terms after the Old Bailey heard that they plotted to hack into royal aides' voicemail.

Fresh police inquiries have started since then and a number of high-profile figures have made civil damages claims against News Group Newspapers, the publisher of the News of the World.

The Metropolitan Police did not oppose Vos's order. Lawyers representing Grant and Khan said police had indicated that telephone messages may have been intercepted.

(Reporting by Mike Collett-White; Editing by Louise Ireland)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (4)
Raelyn wrote:
Yay! Good for Hugh Grant and the way he stood up to News Corp. I hope the U.S. can give it another hurt..

Jul 20, 2011 11:46am EDT  --  Report as abuse
lcky9 wrote:
OMG what a BABY.. like no ever BUGGED a movie star or a movie star wannabe’s

Jul 20, 2011 12:06pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
edgyinchina wrote:
You can bet that if Murdoch is using this technique in the UK, then the police better check out Fox News in the US…. These kind of techniques are never (NEVER) just a one-off…. they are always widespread.

Jul 20, 2011 8:42pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.