Debt deal not close, Senator Reid says
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republicans and Democrats are not close to a deal to raise the debt ceiling despite what Republican leaders may say, Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid said on Saturday.
"It's fair to say that the engagement there is not in any meaningful way," Reid said on the Senate floor shortly after returning from a meeting with President Barack Obama. "Republican leaders still refuse to negotiate in good faith."
- Palestinian death toll rises to 74 as Israel hits Gaza over rocket fire |
- Six killed, including four children, in Houston-area shooting |
- Anger mounts as Germany unearths second U.S. spy suspect
- Exclusive: Iraq tells U.N. that 'terrorist groups' seized nuclear materials
- Portugal woes sink European stocks