Australian woman free after hours-long bomb scare

SYDNEY Wed Aug 3, 2011 11:19am EDT

1 of 6. Police officers are seen outside a house where bomb squad officers were working to protect an 18-year-old girl in the exclusive Sydney suburb of Mosman August 3, 2011.

Credit: Reuters/Tim Wimborne

Related Video

Video

Bomb scare in Sydney suburb

Wed, Aug 3 2011

Related Topics

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A young Australian woman was freed from a suspected bomb collared around her neck early on Thursday after 10 hours of drama that lasted past midnight and captivated the nation with police saying they were still investigating the incident.

The 18-year-old had been trapped for hours in a house in Mosmon, one of Sydney's most exclusive neighborhoods, in what media speculated was an extortion plot.

"We have secured the release of the young lady. She is safe and sound, she is being reunited with her parents as we speak. Our investigation of the crime scene will now begin in earnest," New South Wales assistant police commissioner Mark Murdoch told reporters.

The police said they were dealing with a "very elaborate, very sophisticated device" which they had not been able to confirm as an explosive.

He said the young woman had interaction with the person the police believed to be responsible for the scare, but could not confirm a ransom note had been left at the scene, as media had reported.

"You'd hardly think that someone would go to this much trouble if there wasn't a motive behind it. What that motive is, as I've indicated, we are still not aware," Murdoch said.

Police consulted with several Australian agencies as well as the British military to release the woman, he said, and bomb experts were familiar with the type of device used.

(Rebekah Kebede with additional reporting by Jill Gralow; Editing by Ron Popeski and Ed Lane)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (3)
DeeCee4 wrote:
There are likely to be more such events until the wealthy stop committing class war against us.

Aug 03, 2011 8:50am EDT  --  Report as abuse
SilentOwl wrote:
My heart and prayers truly goes out to this young woman and her family. I pray that the police and bomb squad will get the job done, and this woman can finally live her life again.

Aug 03, 2011 10:21am EDT  --  Report as abuse
niblick wrote:
Hoax! Just like the balloon boy.

Aug 03, 2011 12:11pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.