At least 10 killed in Somali refugee camp firefight
MOGADISHU Aug 5 (Reuters) - At least 10 Somalis, among them refugees, were killed on Friday during a firefight that broke out in Mogadishu when troops and residents looted truckloads of food meant for famine victims, two witnesses said.
Earlier one witness said he saw a soldier killed and dozens of refugees wounded at Badbaado camp, home to some 30,000 refugees. Early on Friday government troops fired shots and fought amongst themselves as they looted maize and oil.
"At least 10 people died and 15 others were wounded," Aden Kusow, himself a refugee, told Reuters from Badbaado camp.
"Seven of those died in the camp. The other three died outside as they fled. Most of those who died are refugees," he said.
About 100,000 refugees have reached the capital in the last two months and hundreds more are streaming into the city, hoping to escape the brunt of the worst drought to hit the Horn of Africa in decades. (Reporting by Abdi Sheikh; Writing by Yara Bayoumy)
- Special Report: Thailand secretly supplies Myanmar refugees to trafficking rings |
- UPDATE 2-China bars banks from bitcoin transactions
- Obama says he's not allowed iPhone for 'security reasons'
- The 10 Most Corrupt and Least Corrupt Countries in the World
- Ford launches new global Mustang to buoy brand, boost margins