At least 10 killed in Somali refugee camp firefight
MOGADISHU Aug 5 (Reuters) - At least 10 Somalis, among them refugees, were killed on Friday during a firefight that broke out in Mogadishu when troops and residents looted truckloads of food meant for famine victims, two witnesses said.
Earlier one witness said he saw a soldier killed and dozens of refugees wounded at Badbaado camp, home to some 30,000 refugees. Early on Friday government troops fired shots and fought amongst themselves as they looted maize and oil.
"At least 10 people died and 15 others were wounded," Aden Kusow, himself a refugee, told Reuters from Badbaado camp.
"Seven of those died in the camp. The other three died outside as they fled. Most of those who died are refugees," he said.
About 100,000 refugees have reached the capital in the last two months and hundreds more are streaming into the city, hoping to escape the brunt of the worst drought to hit the Horn of Africa in decades. (Reporting by Abdi Sheikh; Writing by Yara Bayoumy)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales
- 'Everything is fine', Pistorius told guard after shooting girlfriend |