UPDATE 1-Jetstar, JAL to launch low-cost carrier by 2012-end - Nikkei
Aug 12 (Reuters) - Qantas Airways Ltd unit Jetstar Airways has agreed to form a 3 billion yen ($39 million) low-cost carrier joint venture with Japan Airlines Corp (JAL) and Mitsubishi Corp , the Nikkei business daily reported.
Jetstar Japan, which will use the Australian firm's brand as well as its operation, reservation and sales systems, will begin domestic and international flights out of Narita airport by December 2012, the Nikkei said.
Mitsubishi is expected to reduce its 33.4 percent interest in the company by next summer, when new shareholders are brought in. It is looking to make profits by handling the leasing of Airbus SAS aircrafts to the new carrier, the daily added.
Jetstar recorded highest sales among budget air carriers in the Asia-Pacific region last year, the Nikkei said. ($1 = 76.780 Japanese Yen) (Reporting by Aman Shah in Bangalore)
- Target says data from 40 million cards stolen in November-December
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- As Modi storms into India's election, a quiet alternative emerges
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |