CANADA STOCKS-Manulife results help lift TSX
TORONTO, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Toronto's main stock market index rose on Thursday, helped by better-than-expected results from Manulife Financial (MFC.TO), although declining gold-mining stocks kept the gains in check.
The Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE rose 23.41 points to 12,222.30. Seven of the index's 10 main groups were higher, led by a 0.8 percent rally in financials. (Reporting by Ka Yan Ng; Editing by Jeffrey Hodgson)
- Police hunt for motive as search for Malaysian jet spans hemispheres |
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Democrats seek ways to limit Obamacare fallout after Florida defeat
- Crimeans vote on union with Russia as troops build up rapidly |
- Police make third arrest in murder of Colorado socialite