Iraq recognises Libyan rebel council
BAGHDAD Aug 23 (Reuters) - Iraq on Tuesday formally recognised the rebel National Transitional Council as Libya's representative, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.
"The cabinet decided today, 23 August 2011, to recognise the Libyan National Transitional Council as the only and legitimate representative of the Libyan people," a statement on the Foreign Ministry's website said. (Reporting by Aseel Kami; Writing by Serena Chaudhry; Editing by Angus MacSwan)
- Man called Bitcoin's father denies ties, leads LA car chase
- Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people
- Ukraine standoff intensifies, Russia says sanctions will 'boomerang' |
- Florida mayor fights backyard gun ranges in 'Gunshine State'
- Apple loses bid for U.S. ban on Samsung smartphone sales