Italy's Berlusconi to meet Libyan rebel leader Thursday
ROME Aug 23 (Reuters) - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi will meet Libyan rebel leader Mahmoud Jibril in Milan on Thursday, Berlusconi's office said.
Jibril is head of the executive committee of Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) and is referred to as its prime minister.
Once Gaddafi's closest European ally, Rome has aggressively courted the rebels since abruptly switching sides to back them in April after a NATO bombing campaign began.
The Libyan rebels occupied the Tripoli compound of Muammar Gaddafi on Tuesday in what appeared to be a closing chapter of his rule of Libya.
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Amish girl in Ohio will not be forced to resume chemo for cancer
- French launch Central African Republic mission but deaths mount
- Cuba drops veto at WTO meet, enabling global trade deal: sources