Northeast nuclear plants unaffected by quake
HOUSTON Aug 23 (Reuters) - U.S. nuclear reactors in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland were not affected by a 5.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Virginia on Tuesday, a spokeswoman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's region 1 office said.
Several of the 26 reactors in the region declared an unusual event due to the quake, but no significant damage was reported, she said. (Reporting by Eileen O'Grady)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter