Northeast nuclear plants unaffected by quake
HOUSTON Aug 23 (Reuters) - U.S. nuclear reactors in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland were not affected by a 5.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Virginia on Tuesday, a spokeswoman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's region 1 office said.
Several of the 26 reactors in the region declared an unusual event due to the quake, but no significant damage was reported, she said. (Reporting by Eileen O'Grady)
- Lightning, rain fail to deter resolute Hong Kong protesters |
- Kurds seize Iraq/Syria border post; Sunni tribe joins fight against Islamic State |
- Special Report: Islamic State uses grain to tighten grip in Iraq
- Protesters stay out on Hong Kong streets, defying Beijing |
- EBay follows Icahn's advice, plans PayPal spinoff in 2015 |