Northeast nuclear plants unaffected by quake
HOUSTON Aug 23 (Reuters) - U.S. nuclear reactors in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland were not affected by a 5.9 magnitude earthquake that hit Virginia on Tuesday, a spokeswoman for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's region 1 office said.
Several of the 26 reactors in the region declared an unusual event due to the quake, but no significant damage was reported, she said. (Reporting by Eileen O'Grady)
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Malaysian jetliner may have turned back before vanishing |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- CORRECTED-UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- Malaysian jet's disappearance among rarest of aviation disasters