Rebel council to take Libya's seat at Arab League
CAIRO Aug 25 (Reuters) - The Arab League gave its full backing to Libya's rebel National Transitional Council (NTC) as the legitimate representative of the Libyan people on Thursday and said it was time for Libya to take back its permanent seat on the League's council.
"We agreed that it is time for Libya to take back its legitimate seat and place at the Arab League. The NTC will be the legitimate representative of the Libyan state," the League's Secretary General Nabil Elaraby told reporters in Cairo.
The NTC's representative at the League, Abdelmoneim el-Houni, said Libya would resume its League membership at a meeting of Arab ministers on Saturday. (Reporting by Marwa Awad and Ayman Samir; Writing by Tom Pfeiffer)
- Confusion as search for Malaysian jet spreads across SE Asia |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Special Report: How China's official bank card is used to smuggle money |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source