Military jets escort two flights after security scares

WASHINGTON Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:45pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. military jets were scrambled to escort two passengers flights because of security scares on Sunday as Americans marked the 10th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Two F-16 fighter jets escorted an American Airlines flight to a safe landing in New York after a report of suspicious activity on the flight from Los Angeles.

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said it was notified of passengers allegedly behaving suspiciously on American Airlines Flight 34 from Los Angeles International Airport to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

"Out of an abundance of caution, NORAD (North American Aerospace Defense Command) scrambled two F-16 jets to shadow the flight until it landed safely at JFK," the agency said in a statement.

The Boeing 767-200, on a flight from Los Angeles, landed at New York's John F. Kennedy and the passengers disembarked without incident, the airline said.

A spokeswoman for American said the crew did not perceive a threat.

"Our captain and flight attendants did not see that there was any security issue," Andrea Huguely told Reuters, adding that the crew and airline did not ask for assistance.

Another American Airlines spokesman confirmed that the incident began with "suspicious behavior" observed in the area of the jetliner's lavatory.

In another incident, F-16 jets were called into action to shadow a Frontier Airlines flight to Detroit Metro Airport after the TSA was notified of passengers allegedly behaving suspiciously, the agency said.

"Law enforcement met the flight, which was brought to a remote area of the airport," The TSA said. "The plane was swept with negative findings and cleared."

Frontier Airlines Flight 623 from Denver landed safely in Detroit. An airline spokesman said two passengers had been seen to be spending "an extraordinarily long time in the lavatory" and three passengers were taken into custody.

Sandra Berchtold, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Detroit, said the three passengers were being interviewed and were not under arrest.

Nearly 3,000 people were killed 10 years ago Sunday when hijacked commercial airliners were crashed into the World Trade Center towers in New York, the Pentagon in Washington and a field in southwestern Pennsylvania.

(Additional reporting by Clare Baldwin in New York, Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles, and Kyle Peterson and James B. Kelleher in Chicago; Editing by David Bailey)

We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (1)
Pllc15 wrote:
A healthy dose of paranoia doesn’t do any harm against potential terrorist threats because one of these days it might just prevent a suicide bombing attack. I am assuming the suspicious looking and behaving passengers were of Middle East descent especially the ones on Frontier Airlines heading for Detroit. It’s unfortunate, but Muslims will be suspiciously profiled for sometime to come. They need to be conscious of this fact while flying and try to keep a low profile so as not to arouse suspicion. Those passengers in question brought this on themselves considering that the circumstances surrounding the 10th Anniversary of the attack was in play today.

Sep 11, 2011 8:51pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.