Deposed Gaddafi makes defiant statement on TV
CAIRO, Sept 20
CAIRO, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Libya's deposed leader Muammar Gaddafi said the system of rule he set up was based on the people's will and could not be removed, speaking in a recorded message broadcast on Tuesday.
In the audio message carried by Syrian-based Arrai television, he also said NATO's planes would not be able to continue their operations in Libya.
"The political system in Libya is a system based on the power of the people ... and it is impossible that this system be removed," he said. "The bombs of NATO planes will not last." (Reporting by Yasmine Saleh and Omar Fahmy; Writing by Edmund Blair)
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Record cold, ice grip U.S.; more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'