Texas executes man in race-motivated dragging death
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has executed a white supremacist for his role in the racially motivated dragging death of James Byrd Jr., who was killed in Jasper in 1998.
Lawrence Russell Brewer, 44, was given a lethal injection of drugs and pronounced dead on Wednesday evening in Huntsville, Texas, prison officials said.
Brewer and two others were convicted of capital murder for attacking Byrd, chaining his ankles to the back of a pick-up truck and dragging him until his head and arm were ripped off.
(Reporting by Karen Brooks; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Last-minute Obamacare exemption for those with canceled plans
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- UPDATE 6-Target cyber breach hits 40 mln payment cards at holiday peak
China landed an unmanned spacecraft on the moon, joining the United States and the former Soviet Union in the first such "soft-landing" since 1976. Slideshow