Texas executes man in race-motivated dragging death
AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - Texas has executed a white supremacist for his role in the racially motivated dragging death of James Byrd Jr., who was killed in Jasper in 1998.
Lawrence Russell Brewer, 44, was given a lethal injection of drugs and pronounced dead on Wednesday evening in Huntsville, Texas, prison officials said.
Brewer and two others were convicted of capital murder for attacking Byrd, chaining his ankles to the back of a pick-up truck and dragging him until his head and arm were ripped off.
(Reporting by Karen Brooks; Editing by Cynthia Johnston)
- Lost airliner was diverted deliberately: Malaysian PM |
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data