Dole settles lawsuits filed by farm workers
(Reuters) - Dole Food Co Inc DOLE.N said it has settled lawsuits filed by farm workers claiming injuries from the agricultural chemical DBCP.
The settlement will not have a material effect on Dole's financial condition, results of operations or cash flows, the company said in a statement.
Dole said the settlement included five lawsuits filed on behalf of farm workers in the United States and 33 lawsuits filed in Nicaragua.
The 33 Nicaraguan cases represent about $9 billion in claimed damages and, in seven of those cases, two judgments totaling $907.5 million, the company said.
The Los Angeles Court hearing the cases has set November 3 as the date to assess and confirm the fairness of the settlement to all parties, Dole said.
(Reporting by Divya Sharma in Bangalore; Editing by Matt Driskill)
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- EU wields Russia sanctions threat but timing vague |
- F-16s dispatched for unresponsive pilot of small plane near D.C.
- Polish president warns Germany of Putin's 'empire' ambitions
- Car tied to suspected threat against Obama found in Connecticut