CANADA STOCKS-TSX climbs 1 pct on miners, energy
TORONTO, Oct 6 (Reuters) - Toronto's main stock market index extended gains to rise 1 percent on Thursday, boosted by a surge in mining and energy shares and sharp jump in Ivanhoe Mines (IVN.TO).
Shortly after the open, Toronto Stock Exchange's S&P/TSX composite index .GSPTSE was up 148.31 points, or 1.29 percent, at 11,605.53. (Reporting by Ashleigh Patterson; Editing by Jeffrey Hodgson)
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- U.S. military failed in rescue attempt for journalist Foley |
- Indian firms tool up for defense orders on Modi's 'buy India' pledge
- Thai junta leader appointed PM by hand-picked parliament
- Hamas says three top Gaza commanders killed in Israeli air strike |