UPDATE 1-Bankrate to buy InsWeb's businesses for $65 mln
* InsWeb to sell insurance lead generation, marketing business
* InsWeb to retain portfolio of e-commerce, online insurance distribution patents
* Deal to add immediately to Bankrate's results.
Oct 10 (Reuters) - Bankrate Inc , which publishes personal finance content online, said it will buy InsWeb Corp's insurance lead generation and marketing business for $65 million in cash.
Following the deal, InsWeb will retain a portfolio of e-commerce and online insurance distribution patents, which will be licensed to Bankrate on a royalty-free, non-exclusive basis.
North Palm Beach, Florida-based Bankrate said it will also assume certain liabilities of InsWeb and expects the deal to add immediately to its results.
InsWeb, which operates a network of insurance marketplace and education websites, will continue to operate as a public company.
"This transaction provides an attractive opportunity to exit the lead generation business and to shift our focus to monetizing our patent portfolio," InsWeb CEO Hussein Enan saidf in a separate statement.
Shares of Bankrate closed at $15.81 Monday on the New York Stock Exchange, while those of InsWeb closed at $6.21 on Nasdaq.
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Canada's Harper pledges tougher security laws after attack |
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- Some U.S. hospitals weigh withholding care to Ebola patients