Syrian security forces kill 40 protesters on Friday
AMMAN (Reuters) - Security forces killed at least 40 civilians on Friday in attacks on demonstrations calling for international protection for Syria's pro-democracy protesters, activists said.
Most of the killings were in the main cities of Hama, where the security presence has been heavy since a military assault two months ago, and in Homs, where the army and militiamen loyal to President Bashar al-Assad have been raiding residential districts to put down protests and a nascent armed insurgency.
(Reporting by Khaled Yacoub Oweis, Amman newsroom; Editing by Louise Ireland)
- Malaysia air force chief denies saying lost plane tracked to west |
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Toddler found with heroin at New Jersey daycare center
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source