NRC approves South Texas amended ABWR reactor design
NEW YORK, Nov 1 (Reuters) - The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) said Tuesday it has approved a new version of a nuclear power plant design. In a release the NRC said it directed its staff to publish a final rule amending the Advanced Boiling Water Reactor design certification to address the effects of the impact of a large commercial aircraft, in accordance with the NRC's 2009 aircraft impact assessment rule. That aircraft rule followed the attacks on September 11, 2001. South Texas Project Nuclear Operating Company, which includes U.S. power company NRG Energy , submitted an application to amend the ABWR design in June 2009.
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Bitter cold, ice slam U.S. East Coast; South still freezing
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Venezuela's Maduro to raise pressure on business after local vote