Factbox: Quotes from "60 Minutes" commentator Andy Rooney
(Reuters) - "60 Minutes" commentator Andy Rooney, who died Friday night in New York at age 92 from complications following minor surgery, was known for speaking his mind. Following are examples of his comments:
* "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
* "I didn't get old on purpose. It just happened. If you're lucky, it could happen to you."
* "If dogs could talk it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one."
* "All men are not created equal but should be treated as though they were under the law."
* "It would be a better world if everyone in it knew all the truth about everything."
* "I'm already suspicious of anyone who thinks he or she is smart enough to be president. You'd have to have some ego to believe that about yourself."
* "We're all proud of making little mistakes. It gives us the feeling we don't make any big ones."
* "We've sent a man to the moon and that's 29,000 miles away. The center of the Earth is only 4,000 miles away. You could drive that in a week but for some reason nobody's ever done it."
* "Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter.'"
(Compiled by Bill Trott in Washington; Editing by Eric Beech)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Doctor with Ebola in Manhattan hospital after return from Guinea |
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.
- Stress tests, Ebola cool global stocks after best week of year