Judge dismisses case against Selena Gomez stalker
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A judge on Wednesday dismissed the case against an Illinois man who was accused of stalking actress and singer Selena Gomez earlier this year, a court official said.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edmund Clarke Jr. ruled that Thomas Brodnicki, 46, "lacked specific intent" to cause Gomez fear, said District Attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons.
She said prosecutors were now "evaluating our next step."
Brodnicki pleaded not guilty earlier this month to one felony charge alleging that he stalked the 19-year-old entertainer between July and October.
Another judge in the case earlier had granted a stay-away order against Brodnicki in October. Brodnicki allegedly told a psychiatrist he traveled to Los Angeles to see Gomez and had conversations with God about killing her, according to court documents.
Gomez is best known for her work on children's shows such as "Wizards of Waverly Place." She also is the girlfriend of teen singer Justin Bieber.
(Editing by Zorianna Kit)
- Housing, jobs data weaken, but overall economic picture still upbeat
- Putin critic Khodorkovsky in Germany after pardon
- Target cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards at holiday peak |
- Pizza outlet attacked as India, U.S. fail to cool diplomat row |
- New York Mayor-elect's reputation for lateness parodied on Twitter
China landed an unmanned spacecraft on the moon, joining the United States and the former Soviet Union in the first such "soft-landing" since 1976. Slideshow