Republican Romney to skip Trump debate

Tue Dec 6, 2011 5:02pm EST

Related Topics

* Gingrich, Santorum have agreed to Trump's plan

* Republican strategists warn candidates against debate

By Sam Youngman

WASHINGTON, Dec 6 (Reuters) - U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said on Tuesday that he will not attend a controversial Dec. 27 debate to be moderated by real estate magnate Donald Trump, as have candidates Ron Paul and former Utah Governor Jon Huntsman.

Romney told Fox News' Neil Cavuto that he will not participate in the Iowa debate, which has drawn fire from Washington Republicans as well as two of Romney's competitors.

He gave no reason, but other Republicans have expressed concern that the event could be an embarrassment with Trump in control.

Trump flirted with a run for the Republican 2012 presidential nomination earlier this year and was derided for pushing a discredited charge that Democratic President Barack Obama might not have been born in the United States.

Romney said on the show that he had spoken with Trump and informed the multimillionaire businessman and entertainer that he will not attend.

The only candidates so far to agree to the debate are rising Republican Newt Gingrich and former Senator Rick Santorum.

A campaign spokesman for Texas Representative Paul said that Trump moderating a debate would result in "an unwanted circus-like atmosphere."

"The selection of a reality television personality to host a presidential debate that voters nationwide will be watching is beneath the office of the presidency and flies in the face of that office's history and dignity," campaign spokesman Jesse Benton said.

In the days following Trump's announcement of the debate, which will be co-hosted by Newsmax, Republican strategists in Washington worried aloud that by participating in the debate, the Republican candidates would appear foolish or out-of-touch with voters.

Ari Fleischer, former press secretary for Republican President George W. Bush, said on Twitter that Trump's idea to moderate a debate is "absurd."

"I hope all GOP candidates turn him down."

And veteran Republican strategist Karl Rove has urged the Republican National Committee to call on Trump to cancel the event.

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (2)
diamondminder wrote:
It’s about time that someone refused to participate in this Republican sideshow. We know that Newt can’t help himself. His head is growing bigger by the day. The problem is he peaked a month too soon.

Romney (Karl Rove) now has time to chop him into pieces, like the other front runners of the month, before the January vote. Strap yourself in. We are going to get a view of every orifice of Newt and it is not going to be pretty.

Dec 06, 2011 5:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
jcarob wrote:
After the debacles we have witnessed thus far, what harm could Donald Trump possibly do? Moderators so far have chosen to wade into shallow waters, tried to incite internecine warfare, outright ignored some candidates and lost control of the proceedings. Ridiculous formats requiring candidates to be cut off in mid sentence and allowing only a few candidates to respond to the same issue or question have made a mockery of the meaning of “debate”. I have a strong feeling that Donald Trump is going do a better job of getting the candidates to open up on the important issues of the day. Viewers may actually learn something of substance about those who were not fearful of participating.

Dec 06, 2011 5:59pm EST  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.