Geithner spoke to ECB, IMF heads on Wednesday: official
PARIS (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner spoke with ECB President Mario Draghi and IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde by telephone on Wednesday during a whirlwind round of diplomacy ahead of an EU summit, a U.S. Treasury official said.
Geithner, who met French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris earlier in the day, also spoke by telephone with outgoing Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and with Singaporean Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who heads the IMF's steering committee, the IMFC.
The Treasury official declined to provide more details of the talks.
Geithner, who is on a lightning European visit ahead of an EU summit on Friday to seek a breakthrough in the euro zone's worsening debt crisis, flew to the southern French port of Marseille for talks with Spanish Prime Minister-elect Mariano Rajoy later on Wednesday.
(Reporting David Lawder; Writing by Daniel Flynn)
- Tesla prevails in top Massachusetts court over direct sales
- Obama to deploy 3,000 troops as Ebola crisis worsens
- Russia needs government investment to avoid recession, says former finance minister
- World stocks hit one-month low, caution ahead of Fed
- Ahead of independence vote, Britain pledges state funding to Scotland |