Geithner spoke to ECB, IMF heads on Wednesday: official
PARIS (Reuters) - Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner spoke with ECB President Mario Draghi and IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde by telephone on Wednesday during a whirlwind round of diplomacy ahead of an EU summit, a U.S. Treasury official said.
Geithner, who met French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris earlier in the day, also spoke by telephone with outgoing Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero and with Singaporean Finance Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam, who heads the IMF's steering committee, the IMFC.
The Treasury official declined to provide more details of the talks.
Geithner, who is on a lightning European visit ahead of an EU summit on Friday to seek a breakthrough in the euro zone's worsening debt crisis, flew to the southern French port of Marseille for talks with Spanish Prime Minister-elect Mariano Rajoy later on Wednesday.
(Reporting David Lawder; Writing by Daniel Flynn)
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talks with government
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on
- U.S. to funnel travelers from Ebola-hit region through five airports