Republican-led House defies Obama on payroll tax
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Republican-led House of Representatives defied a White House veto threat on Tuesday and passed a bill to expedite approval of the Keystone XL Canada-to-Texas pipeline project.
The provision was part of a broader bill to extend a payroll tax cut for 160 million Americans. Democrats oppose Republicans' efforts to link the two issues and the measure is expected to die in the Democratic-controlled Senate.
(Reporting By Thomas Ferraro)
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Four dead in apparent Connecticut murder-suicide
- South Korea expands air defense zone to partially overlap China's |
- Singer Susan Boyle reveals she has Asperger's syndrome: paper
- Dynasty's Congress party punished in Indian state elections
Nelson Mandela: 1918 - 2013
Reuters looks at the life and times of Nelson Mandela, an icon of peace and reconciliation who came to embody the struggle for justice around the world. Video