Fed won't bail Europe out, Bernanke tells lawmakers
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told Republican senators on Wednesday the Fed can't and won't provide bailout funds to support European banks or nations, lawmakers said.
"We're all concerned, is the American taxpayer going to be bailing out European nations and banks," Senator Lindsey Graham told reporters after a meeting with the Fed chairman.
"He said, no, he doesn't have the intention or authority to do that," Graham said.
(Reporting By Mark Felsenthal and Pedro Nicolaci da Costa; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $400 million, 2nd-biggest ever
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year |
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- Thousands of South Africans line up to see Mandela lie in state |
- China bitcoin arbitrage ends as traders work around capital controls