Boat sinks off Indonesia coast, hundreds missing
JAKARTA Dec 18 (Reuters) - A boat carrying 380 migrants, most of them from the Middle East, sank off the coast of east Java in Indonesia and hundreds of the passengers are still missing, a senior emergencies official said on Sunday.
Seventy six people have been rescued, and hundreds of others are missing, said Sahrul Arifin, the head of emergency and logistic at the East Java Disaster Mitigation Centre. (Reporting by Olivia Rondonuwu)
- Ukraine says Russian tanks flatten town; EU to threaten more sanctions |
- Seven NATO allies to create new rapid reaction force-report
- U.S. authorities investigate suspected threat against Obama: reports
- Putin says Russia must strengthen its economic, military position in Arctic
- China and Hong Kong poised for showdown over democracy